What is Alcoholado?
Alcoholado, also called Bay Rum, is a blend of locally distilled West Indian Bay leaves, alcohol, and essential oils of eucalyptus, camphor and peppermint.
Every Puerto Rican home has a bottle of alcoholado in their medicine chest or on the bedside table. It’s part of our Puerto Rican culture.
We use it for many things!
- A bath to lower the fever.
- A friction or rub for muscle pains.
- Smell it directly from the bottle for nasal congestion.
- Headache relief. Cold from the fridge using a cloth on the forehead.
- Aftershave to refresh and prevent razor burn.
- Relieve insect bites.
- Even as a perfume !!!!
How is Artisanal Alcoholado Made?
We select the best leaves of the tree and immerse them in ethyl alcohol for several months. The alcohol extracts the essence from the leaf becoming darker with time.
Then, we add more plant extracts, called essential oils, such as Eucalyptus, Mint, Camphor and others but we cannot divulge all our 17 year old recipe!
We add Malagueta leaves and spices such as cloves and peppercorns to the bottle before filling.